• St. Marys Submarine Museum

    • Entertainment
    • Museum
    102 ST Marys ST W
    St. Marys, GA 31558-4523
    912-882-2782
    912-882-2748 (fax)
    • About

      IN THE BEGINNING. The museum is located in a city owned building, built back in 1911, and is designated as a Historical Building, which is a nice place to show off history. With a 99% volunteer work force we gutted the building completely, added an interior second floor, all new electrical, plumbing and sound/video system. Added a second HVAC system, to help ensure proper humidity and temperature control. The building walls are one foot thick solid concrete block, providing strong and insulated walls. We now have 4,500+ sq. ft., with two floors of display area, an artifact office-storage area and one office. In addition to the volunteers we must acknowledge our sponsors, some being local contractors and suppliers, and our members, for they were the ones that raised the money to obtain all of the building materials. 31 MARCH 1996. We started up the museum, like a naval vessel and our opening was called "The Commissioning". We were commissioned on 30 Mar 96. Our Guest speaker was RADM Eugene Fluckey, USN-RET, Congressional Medal of Honor winner, USS BARB SS-220. There are only 8 US Submariners to earn the Congressional Medal Of Honor. Over 500 attended our commissioning and all thought we did an outstanding job. We have an operational Type 8 submarine periscope, that goes out the roof, for a great view of SE GEORGIA and NE FLORIDA. To date we are not aware of any other periscopes in the SE USA that are open to the public for general viewing, unless they can get on a submarine. Since most submarines of today are not open to the general public, this has become a very