• Magnolia Manor

    • Retirement
    • Assisted Living
    4695 Charlie Smith SR HWY
    St Marys, GA 31558
    912-673-7713
    912-673-7724 (fax)
    Hours:
    24 Hours
    • About

      In the late 1950s, the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church commissioned an internal study on the needs of the elderly in South Georgia. The study identified the need for safe, secure housing along with long-term care for the elderly. Magnolia Manor evolved from the South Georgia Methodists' commitment to establish a ministry to address these needs. That ministry expands across denominations and geographical boundaries, embracing residents from all walks of life. Kate Witte, a long-time resident of Americus, also believed in the idea of a home for the aging. When she passed away in 1947, she left a bequest of 392 acres specifically designated to provide a home for the elderly. A group of Americus citizens honored her request and formed the Rock of Ages Foundation to operate a home. In 1959, the Rock of Ages Foundation deeded the land to the South Georgia Methodist Home for the Aging, Inc., known from its inception as Magnolia Manor. Opening its doors in 1963, Magnolia Manor soon became recognized as a leader in secure retirement living. First, the Retirement Center provided assisted living care and soon after the Nursing Center provided skilled nursing care. Over the next forty years, additions to the Americus campus included the Martha McDonald Moore Memorial Chapel, fifty Garden Apartments, six Ministerial Cottages, twenty-two Villas, twenty Edgewood Apartments, eight Lake Drive Cottages, the Mattie H. Marshall Alzheimer's Center, the Thomas O. Marshall Jr. Administration Center within the Pitts Building, the Clarke W. Duncan Wellness Center and a stan